Wouldn’t it be thrilling to throw caution to the wind and experience complete freedom whilst exploring places?
If you are a solo woman, travelling to Mexico City, you may have heard of so many things from the vibrant markets to the Mexican machismo. As a solo women traveller, you may get a lot of reactions which may be alarming especially if you are a natural-worrier. However, solo travelling to Mexico City can be fun, and with some extra-awareness, you can have an incredible experience. Here are some travel tips for women travellers visiting this city.
- Using common-sense while dressing helps. A pair of jeans, loose pants, or a long skirt can be your best travel clothes, as they can help in avoiding unnecessary ogling and groping.
- Try and not be a soft-target for muggers by avoiding exhibit of gadgets like an expensive camera, or face-timing, donning expensive jewellery or watches.
- Travelling during the day time is a lot safer.
- Try and steer away from some neighbourhoods after the dark, like the areas of La Lagunilla or Mercado Merced known as prostitution zones.
- Never leave your food or drinks unattended in bars and restaurants as they can get spiked.
- If you plan to rent a car and drive around, then avoid isolated roads and use the toll roads (cuotas). Also, make sure to keep the car doors locked, and windows closed to avoid any car-jacking.
- If you plan to take the public transport then be extra-vigilant in the urban buses (micros) especially in the south of Mexico City, where some sexual offences have been reported.
Be extra-vigilant and enjoy your solo travelling to Mexico City.